This activity will give you a greater understanding of how biomass from landfills can be used as an energy source.
You will need:
- 20 cooked pinto beans
- 2 sandwich bags, one of which can be tightly sealed
- A warm or sunny spot indoors
Put 10 of the cooked pinto beans into a sandwich bag and seal it tightly. Put the other 10 beans into a second sandwich bag and leave it open.
- Predict. What will happen if you do not open the sealed bag for a week? What differences do you expect to find, if any, between the sealed and unsealed bags?
- Investigate. Put both bags in a warm spot where they can be left for seven days.
- Observe the bags at the end of the week. Record any changes in the size or shape of the beans.
Beans in Open Bag Beans in Closed Bag
- Conclude. Were your predictions accurate? Why or why not? What do you think happened inside the bags? How does this relate to using biomass as a source of energy?