Skip to content
Travels of Electricity
How Electricity Can Hurt You
In Case of an Electrical Emergency
Tree & Power Line Safety
Tell Me More
Learn About Energy
Use Energy Efficiently
Help the Environment
Tell Me More
Preserve Your Environment
Water & Energy Glossary
Careers in Energy
Santee Cooper History
Energy Tip Cards
Ask an Expert
Find the Hidden Dangers Electric
Make the Safe Choice
Energy Saver Calculator
Home Electric Safety Inspection
Home Water Efficiency
Use Water Wisely
66261 Kids Energy Inspection
Home Energy Inspection
Is your household doing as much as it can to save energy?
Print this checklist
and do this inspection with your parents or another adult. Post your completed checklist to remind your family how to save.
1. Do you turn off lights and computers when you are not using them?
2. Do you have compact fluorescent lights (CFLs) in your home?
3. Do you wash most of your laundry in cold water?
4. Do you have energy- and water-saving showerheads?
5. Do you take short showers and/or half-full baths?
6. Do you run full loads in your dishwasher, clothes washer, and dryer?
7. Do you use the “Air Dry” or “No-Heat Dry” setting on your dishwasher?
8. Do you close draperies or blinds to help keep the heat out during the summer and to help keep the heat in during the winter?
9. Do your doors and windows have weatherstripping and caulking to block drafts?
10. Has your family unplugged appliances you rarely use, such as a second refrigerator or freezer?
11. Is regular maintenance done on your heating and cooling system—cleaning or replacing filters monthly and a yearly tune-up?
Page load link
Go to Top